What We Provide
Whether you or your loved one is living at home, a retirement home, long-term care residence or even hospital, our volunteers can visit regularly to provide companionship and a listening ear along with an opportunity for family caregivers to feel comfortable taking a much needed break.
Often caregivers will schedule appointments or run errands during this time. Sometimes, the caregiver can maintain their social and recreational networks while the volunteer is there, or take a rest or complete household chores. Our volunteers can also assist with:
- Preparing a small snack or doing light housekeeping
- Letter writing
- Taking care of a beloved pet
- Comfort measures, such as hand massage
- Playing cards, games, or reading aloud – whatever might help with comfort. Conversation is not required if you would rather rest.
The volunteers of Hospice West Parry Sound are thoroughly screened including having completed a Vulnerable Sector Police Check and trained in Visiting Hospice Palliative Care.
Wherever possible, the Client Care and Development Coordinator will aim for matching one volunteer to each family so there is opportunity to build trust and get to know one another really well.
You, your family, friends, or health care team may request Hospice West Parry Sound to contact you as long as you have given them your permission.
The purpose of our volunteers is not always what they can do, but rather the comfort that comes with silent companionship, or the peace of mind knowing that someone else is in the house.
It all starts with:
- a simple phone call to 705-746-4540; Ext. 1416 , or
- sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org , or
- completing our referral form HospiceWPS Referral Form 2020 fillable , printing it and fax to 705-996-1133