You don’t need to walk alone
Hospice West Parry Sound’s Grief and Bereavement Program provides emotional, spiritual, and psychosocial support to individuals and families who are anticipating a death or experiencing grief due to loss of a loved one or friend. This service is available regardless of how long ago the loss or whether or not your loved accessed our palliative supports.
Our Grief and Bereavement Program includes:
Grief Counselling – It’s okay to not be okay
Do you feel stuck in your grief? Do others close to the deceased seem to be adapting more quickly than you? Has the pain gotten worse? These are questions with very individual answers. They may or may not indicate outside assistance is necessary.
Be assured, the vast majority of people mourning the death of a loved one do not need professional assistance. On the other hand, a professional counselor who works with the bereaved may be able to open new avenues for adjusting to the absence of your loved one.
- 1 on 1 counselling
- Anyone can refer for this service
- All sessions are free
Remember that it is not a sign of weakness to seek assistance in coping with the death of a loved one. We all need each other at various times throughout life. When grieving, it is one of those times. Reach out and you will make it through this difficult transition.
The Bereavement Social Group
*This group is not currently active but will resume in Fall 2019*
- The social support group is held on the last Friday of every month at 12:00 p.m. at the Hospice West Parry Sound office on the 1st floor of the West Parry Sound Health Centre
- This drop-in group provides a non-judgemental, supportive space for individuals to drop-in, express their feelings, and move toward healing
- The group is facilitated by a clinical professional with experience providing grief therapy
- Registration is not needed to join.
Children’s Grief and Bereavement Program
Regardless of age, all children grieve.
Family members, friends and caregivers often find themselves helping a child to understand grief when they themselves are moving through the fog trying to make sense of the emotions. This can be overwhelming and leave you feeling helpless. We can help, we provide:
- 1 to 1 caregiver support to provide information about children’s bereavement responses at different development stages
- In depth in-takes to build a strong rapport with the caregiver and then the child
- Play-based age appropriate interventions with children to help them understand their emotions and explore thoughts and ideas
- Safe space to allow caregivers and children to share openly and make sense of their individual emotions
- Provide a ‘wrap around’ approach with other professional if necessary to ensure your child receives a holistic approach to working through their grief
For more information, or to register for a group, please call (705) 746-4540; Ext. 1416.